Thursday, August 25, 2016

Wrapping my head around this

As the days dwindle down, I keep asking myself how I will really feel when my time comes. How do I imagine death? Or what comes after? I don't really care if there's a Heaven, and I hope there's no Hell (swear there ain't no heaven and I pray there ain't no hell--thanks, Blood, Sweat and Tears!), and oblivion doesn't worry me, and reincarnation sounds interesting, so it's really just the process by which I'm fascinated. I was always a process person.

I want to go peacefully, but to do that morphine has to play a factor. And probably Atavan, an anti-anxiety med. Unless I'm just not anxious at the end. Which could happen. I can think myself through this, as I do when I'm alone and have a breathing issue. I just slow down and reposition my powerchair and try to control my breathing.  Maybe I can do the same thing, with morphine keeping the air hunger under control, as I pass. I want to be conscious when I do, if the two things aren't mutually exclusive.

If they do exclude each other, and I imagine they do, then I guess morphine-induced loss of consciousness is the way I'll go. I don't want Paul and the kids to see me gasping for breath at the end.

So, does the world cease to exist because I am no longer there to perceive it? Of course not, as people  die constantly and the world plugs along. But since I can only view it from my perspective, for all intents and purposes, it ends for me. Legacy is all we strive for: our children, our reputation, and some material things we leave behind. I think I'm comfortable with my legacy.






7 comments:

  1. Good choice of music, Pam. You may be overthinking it a bit. When the time comes, it should be peaceful. There are a lot of people up there (wherever that is) waiting for you with open arms. Those of us left down here will miss you terribly, but you and everyone else have done all you can in this world. I think your soul and spirit will continue on somewhere somehow. I just hope it will be nearby for us to feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant you have done all you can about your illness.

      Delete
  2. What a gift - to be comfortable with your legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my dad was close to the end (organ failure) they withdrew his morphine and he woke up for two hours. In his case he was able to talk at the end and said his final goodbyes. You have said your goodbyes. He died a very peaceful death with his family by his side. I know your situation is different but my prayers for you are be at peace during your transition. Hugs Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, than you for sharing this with me. It gives me a plan for the end. I am so glad Cameron had such a peaceful, meaningful passing.

      My love to you all.

      Delete
  4. As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from ALS, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My husband was diagnosed of ALS in 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always have trouble swallowing , and he always complain of Weakness of the body . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to ALS. I never imagined ALS has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. ALS has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony.

    ReplyDelete