Wednesday, August 24, 2016

In praise of hospice caregivers

I need help with everything nowadays. And, I'm blessed to have Bear Paw Hospice in our lives since April. The best part is my visits twice a day from my CNA, Yolanda. She arrives each weekday at 8:30 and does range of motion (I liken it to massage for an ALS patient), and then cleans me and dresses me. Dolan is then called to lift me out of bed into my powerchair. Then she gets me food. She used to cook me eggs, but now all I ask for is boost. She leaves at 10:30.

She returns from 4-6, and is such a good companion. Some days she has to deal with my bm issues, but she takes care of things efficiently and never makes negative comments. In fact, she says the one word she doesn't want to hear from  me is "sorry."

Once a week the RN comes to check vitals and chat. Liz comes most, but Deb comes now and then. They are the ones who check meds and find out how healthy a terminal person can be. I always say, I'm the healthiest dying person I know!

Once a month we are visited by the social worker. Charlene just has heart to hearts with each family member, to ensure we all are okay emotionally.

So we are all blessed. Hospice allows my family to live their life while knowing I'm cared for professionally. Paul and Dolan can work and Caroline can still enjoy her teens. And when things get to the end game, they will help bring us to a peaceful close to this chapter.

All terminal diseases are hard. Thankfully, Bear Paw Hospice travels this arduous path with us.

5 comments:

  1. Pam - I appreciate every blog post and imagine the effort it takes for you to type them. Your stories of Hospice workers are lovely and build on so many other stories I've heard about their excellent and loving patient care.

    I wish you the very best as you allow others to help you as you have done for others. All those days we spent feeding and caring for our children as babies and our parents as they age. I also wish I lived close enough to pay you a visit. Instead your blog allows me a chance to catch up and send you my regards from afar.

    My family is living in Mexico for the school year. I'll send you our blog address if you have any interest. xoxox, Sonya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonya, thank you for your kind words. Please do send your blog!

      Delete
    2. We are writing at: bryanlunder.wordpress.com
      Hopefully sharing this helps me stay motivated to post updates.
      I will think of you as I see the bright colors of Mexico around me.

      Delete
    3. We are writing at: bryanlunder.wordpress.com
      Hopefully sharing this helps me stay motivated to post updates.
      I will think of you as I see the bright colors of Mexico around me.

      Delete
  2. As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from ALS, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My husband was diagnosed of ALS in 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always have trouble swallowing , and he always complain of Weakness of the body . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to ALS. I never imagined ALS has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. ALS has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony.

    ReplyDelete