Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day thoughts

Spent Saturday evening enjoying the University of Montana Griz take on Appalachian State Mountaineers.  Great game, and the Griz are back in their old form.  Should be a good year, and that means a lot to Paul and many others in Griz Nation.

Sunday morning breakfast at The Shack in Missoula sitting at an outside table.  So nice on a cool morning; felt like I was in the big city (but quieter and cleaner!).  Another wonderful experience.

Paul, Caroline and I headed down the Bitterroot Valley, visited my organic farm area (was it really almost 30 years ago I was an apprentice there?), and marveled over the changes to the valley.  Then we cut across to Wisdom, and had a lovely visit with dear friends.  The Tinsleys are wonderful hosts!  But I still should have cashed out my keno winnings at $6! :)

Ended Sunday night with Belfry family in Opportunity.  [If you want to read about this interesting community, I suggest the following book: http://www.amazon.com/Opportunity-Montana-Copper-American-Landscape/dp/0807003298]  My sister-in-law has severe rheumatoid arthritis, and when I think what she goes through every moment of her life, I can place my situation in perspective.  We all need to find cures!
 

Here back in Havre with Paul, Caroline, and Dolan.  I am so blessed to have my family, and know that whatever the end result is, I have had such a good ride in this life.  I have no complaints, no regrets.

One final thought:  Let's remember what this day stands for: celebrating the laboring class of America.  Labor is the backbone of our capitalist system, and we forget that at our own peril.

No comments:

Post a Comment