Thursday, May 19, 2016

One more PALS lost

Patty Blake passed away yesterday morning. She was a grandmother in her mid-60s. The good news is she died peacefully in her sleep. My thoughts are with her family and friends. I know she is at peace now. Her unshakeable faith was her rock. Her blog https://pattysoksofar.com always brought me to a better place in my thinking.

I have been grilling the hospice workers about how people die. The variation is tremendous. The difficulty is suppressing pain and anxiety enough to allow peaceful passing. I am so curious about the whole dying process. True morbid curiosity!!

The trees reflected in my electric fireplace screen are fully leafed out now. My friends have my garden, flower pots, and window box planted. I am surrounded by signs of life even while curious about death. And I have this lovely orchid to enjoy:


Thank you, Jade!




On Tuesday evening we attended Caroline's choir concert, the Rose Concert, where the seniors get saluted and give their parents or special relations roses. I started to cry, thinking that I won't be there when Caroline is a senior. Paul held my hand throughout, and I rationally know our mother-daughter bond doesn't need a public demonstration. Still, I love the ceremony. So afterward, what did my sweet, talented daughter do? She presented me with a rose! That took such thought and consideration. Thank you, Caroline!

6 comments:

  1. That is so sweet that Caroline presented you with a rose, you have great kids, they love you very very much! As do I! Think of you every day my friend, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If nothing else, ALS brought us closer, Sue. I am so thankful for that gift!

      Delete
  2. Caroline is as thoughtful, kind and loving as her mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is, Darla. I am blessed with both my children.

      Delete
  3. Your comments about your curiosity reminds me so of my favorite author Studs Terkel's great book "Will the Circle be Unbroken?"it's about faith,death and life. He had to be the most curious person ever.

    You are such an inspiration!

    Bob Schleicher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I will have to check that book out! Thanks for the lead!

      Delete