Saturday, December 19, 2015

Christmastime is here...🎧

Christmas will be come and gone in less than a week. Advent is always thus: The waiting and anticipation soon gives way to the post-Christmas lull. But in the lull there is some peace. You can look back and remember the warmth of the season and the joy you shared with family and friends.

There I am, looking ahead again. I can see some corollaries with my condition. I do sometimes wait and anticipate what will eventually happen, but I hope the aftermath can be what I described above: Remembrance of good things past.

Today we slept in til 8:30 (that's sleeping in to us!), then had a nice hour or so reading the paper, Facebooking, and having #bestcoffeeever (Paul does make a fine cup of coffee for me!). Now Paul is doing the once-monthly recycling. I am envious; that was a truly favorite activity of mine for my entire active life. Really. I liked helping my dad with stacking newspapers for the Boy Scouts' paper drives back in Springfield, Virginia, in the late 60's. And I last took recycling when I was limping but still able to lift independently. Recycling is a big deal to me, as any who have had me annoy them about a tossed recyclable can attest! Still, like so many things, I cannot do that now. I am unable to adequately thank Paul for doing this in my stead. Although sometimes I think what small impact our household recycling has when I see garbage cans on our street bulging with recyclable materials, at the same time I know we have to be the change we seek.

I have been working this week, more hours than sick leave for the first week in a while. I want to be there, I have important work. We are assessing the transcripts of our student members, and looking at where we can help or celebrate their achievement. At the same time, I have chosen officially my last day: January 1st. I will start the new year filing for disability.

Disability. Official recognition from the Feds that I am unable to work. How can I keep going without that push to get out of bed and contribute my knowledge and spirit to the educational milieu? I have plenty of things to occupy me at home, but those things don't contribute to the greater good. I won't even have city council after Monday night, as the newly-elected will be sworn in, and I will leave my seat. (Well, figuratively, of course. I only leave my literal seat for transfers to bed or shower!) Still, I can't even voice an issue easily in council anymore. I had to have my fellow ward rep speak for me at the last meeting. Those who know me know I don't easily let ANYone speak for me!

Have a very merry Christmas! I will likely write again before next Friday, but I love saying Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you, Pam.
    Miss Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  2. May you truly have a very Merry Christmas with your family, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May you truly have a very Merry Christmas with your family, Pam.

    ReplyDelete