Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving Day

Thanksgiving Day dawned sunny and bright, but a tad cold (-1).  My sister Pat and her family are in Duck, NC, in 67 degree weather. 68 degree difference. Gotta love Montana, although snow and cold are hard on mobility-impaired folks.

I've texted and talked to two of my bothers, face timed one sister. That leaves two to go. Talking is hard, though.  I am so thankful for texting, and even FaceTime allows me to see everyone and let them entertain me and know I'm listening. Talking with my brother Mike was a blessing, though, as he was in a serious motorcycle accident in October. He has memory deficits, and somewhat garbled speech, but is improving daily, thank God.

Facebook also allows communication with family and friends. I certainly am glad if I have to have ALS, I have it during a time of great communication devices.

We are spending Thanksgiving with our adopted mother/grandmother, Margaret. She's 85, but will be doing the cooking (we supplied the turkey and pies). She had a great ramp installed at her home to insure I could still visit, but I am glad it is also a benefit for her and her friends. I am glad we are spending Thanksgiving with her, as I have always believed that Thanksgiving is meant to be spent with others as well as with family. Thanksgiving is a time to rejoice in our connections with others.

We had snow yesterday. Not much, but it's so beautiful to see. I can't imagine living in a place that doesn't get snow. All the seasons are my favorites for different reasons. Actually, how can one have a favorite season or color? There is too much beauty in everything to pick favorites.

Driving to Bozeman last week

Each holiday has to be relished as though it is the last. Everyone should do this, although perhaps its most important for me to do so, as I suspect I won't be here next Thanksgiving unless I opt for invasive measures to keep myself alive. I am still not willing to do that. I am eligible for hospice, however, and that seems preferable. I don't want to drag this out. I love life, but on my terms, and Nature's terms, not on invasive medical technology's terms. Fortunately, I have my family's support in this understanding of my end.

So, on this Thanksgiving there is so much to be thankful for each and every day, but especially today: family, friends, communication technology, insurance, a great boss and coworkers, Amazon Echo, Facebook even! God gave me many blessings from birth on, and I am deeply thankful for each, and feel well-treated.

Happy Thanksgiving, dear readers!



No comments:

Post a Comment