Sunday, November 29, 2015

Alpenglow

We get a bit of Alpenglow on the high plains, with the Bears Paw mountains to the south. We are fortunate to have them in view from a picture window. This definitely helps me face being in the house on cold winter days. I close my eyes and remember how I would go for long, leg-stretching walks on days such as these: clear, sunny, cold. ALS will never take my memories.

Thanksgiving is over. We will start decorating this week for Christmas. Then come Caroline's concerts: choir and band, and Piano and Pipes next Sunday. Advent is always my favorite part of the Christmas season; the sense of expectation and anticipation are so invigorating. I am already happily listening to holiday songs. 

I look to the future sometimes, even if I may not see it. Caroline's theater and music figure prominently. I am happy she is so involved for both her happiness and also as it gives me set points to aim for and to experience. I've had a great life and am not bitter about it ending, but I dearly want to see Caroline graduate and perhaps start college. Am I willing to have a trach tube to do that? I would have adamantly  said no, but after reading a PALS' website about how he lives well with a tube and it isn't a huge caregiver burden, I am rethinking my out of hand rejection. So I hold on, and hope to travel to DC next July to see the Blue Pony Marching Band in the  national July 4th parade.

1 comment: