Wednesday, November 4, 2015

A month of being thankful

November reminds me to be thankful. It was easy to be so when the first day was so beautiful. Havre was warm and clear, a bit windy but both Caroline and Dolan worked in my garden as Paul put things away and I sat on the deck. We laughed a lot, especially when I said it was so nice us all working together and the three of them looked at me and snorted. Hey, every job needs a supervisor!!

I can be thankful today for all the moisture we received, but I am also terribly frustrated with 57% of Havre's voters who turned down City Council's infrastructure mill levy proposal. 918 people with vision stymied by 1,199 people who refuse to put skin in the game to replace crumbling infrastructure . Our country was built by people willing to think of the next generations; where has that ethic gone?

That was my goal in this last year on city council: to leave Havre with a plan for infrastructure improvement. I will not be on the council after January 2, but I certainly hope this goes back on the ballot next November. We cannot turn our backs on this problem and hope it goes away.

Funny, I won't live to see the improvements, but knowing they could have happened was enough to make me happy. I'll just have to settle for my legacy being children and trees. That's pretty good, after all. 😊

Paul took the Jazzy to Great Falls to sell it. One less thing in the garage. Dolan and I were going through things there, and he and I disagreed over saving things such as his class ring and geography bee t-shirts and medals. I was all about keeping them, he was all about getting rid of them. He did want to save books. I am such a saver, and yet as my time here grows short, I really have to wonder why. Who wants years of correspondence from family and friends that I've saved? Dolan has a healthier approach.

“Why the obsession with worldly possessions ? When it's your time to go, they have to stay behind, so pack light.” 
― Alex MorrittImpromptu Scribe

I was looking for a quote I thought I'd read years ago; something like "happy is he who can carry his possessions on his shoulders" which always guided my thoughts (but not my actions). For once, Google failed me, but I found the even better quote above.

So here I lie, unable to answer the landline or turn off the endlessly beeping alarm. Being paralyzed is annoying!

4 comments:

  1. I was hoping the infrastructure vote would pass. What an example it could have been for the rest of the state. Would have/could have - rats! Perhaps next time...next time people will be smarter.

    And here is one of my favorites about possessions: “Never measure your life by possessions. Measure it by the hearts you've touched, the smiles you created & the love you shared.” You....Pam Hillery, have mountains, and mountains of possessions.

    Quote by ― Ziad K. Abdelnour

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think about you often, Pam. All of the wonderful work you have done and continue to do....You are an inspiration. I hope by the time I leave this world for another I have accomplished half of what you have already achieved. Prayers, blessings and peace to you and your family - always.l

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearing from two strong, wonderful women always brightens my day! Thank you Gloria and Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam, thankyou for choosing to display my 'Obsession with worldly possessions' quote in this post. Your decision along with that of many others worldwide inspired me to publish a new book: 'Lines & Lenses - A Quotographic Collection' which you can preview here: http://www.blurb.com/b/7547355-lines-lenses Happy viewing and if you or your followers feel like owning a print copy they are currently 25% off list price if you use the code GIVE25 on checkout before 11.59 on Jan. 28th. (There are digital versions too) Best wishes, Alex

    ReplyDelete