Wednesday, January 15, 2014

New challenges

I'm doing well, and am still enjoying every day, but balance is becoming an issue.  Man, do I hate that!  I always prided myself on my balance (physical, not mental!).  Reiterating an earlier post: pride goeth before a fall.  I've fallen on the ice and fallen while shutting a door -- two days in a row.  Both times in front of people. Dang.  It's very frustrating...I want to just lie there and recoup my equilibrium (the mental kind).

That doesn't make me terribly unhappy, though.  I just have to realize that it's a natural progression of my condition, and adjust my movements accordingly.

Spent time with Dolan's attorney discussing his trial today.  Law is pretty interesting.  When I went to college my intent was to become a lawyer and work in D.C.  That seems a lifetime ago.  Yet as we discuss legal tactics, I am fascinated all over again.

I'm also intrigued by counseling.  Is it too late to start another career?!  That is the one beauty of ALS: eventually all I will do is read and think constantly.  Can you imagine, though, my not being able to talk about what I am learning?!  Here comes electronic voice simulation!

4 comments:

  1. Never too late to start another career....thanks for sharing. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria, you never know...do you think Steve would appoint me to the Senate seat? I can guarantee I will never "run" for office again! ;)

      Delete
  2. I wonder with those electronic voice simulations....can you choose a voice like on those silly navigation systems? I think I'd like to sound like I was from the UK - or maybe Russia, where my dad was born! Janet Donahue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I would go with an Irish brogue, I think. My mom was from England; that just seems like soft 'a's and 'r's to me. Russian would be way cool!

      Delete