Monday, April 25, 2016

Late April snow!

Yesterday as Paul and I drove back from Missoula to Havre, I thought about how beautiful Montana is in the spring,especially after a drenching rain. I was grateful to see another spring, hoped to see summer and fall, but felt another winter would be too hard. I countered that with thinking seeing another beautiful snowfall would be nice. Maybe I could in October or early November.

Well, God must've been listening. We've had a long, beautiful snow since last night but the soil is too warm to allow much accumulation. So it's darn near perfect. A snowfall for beauty, moisture for the fields and gardens. Thank you!

The photo is by Marian Miller of her Havre yard.

I've spent the better part of today chronologically rereading correspondence from two college friends, Helen Hurley and Melanie Cecil. Such a joy to go back in time. I have two thoughts: one, I have been blessed with such good friendships, and two, we have lost correspondence as a form of communication and a resource for historians. Sure, I am limited in my ability to write, so thankfully we have texting, email, FB, and more. Still, what will historians of the future do without back and forth written records?

I have many more letters to read. I saved all correspondence. I will either return them to their originator, or recycle or burn them. This is not to thwart historians; I just can't imagine any interest in them from anyone else.

I've had such a good life all in all.

2 comments:

  1. I read about you in the paper today and you have no idea how you changed my life...and my way of thinking. I have been through two brain tumor operations and they cannot get it all so there is always cells left behind to regrow. I am always thinking about what it will be like if I live long enough to die from the regrowth of that tumor. The symptoms you face are similar. What you have done for me is made me realize I need to think (and be grateful) about each day I am here and what I still get to do! I have been thinking of keeping a "gratitude" journal, and you have spurred me on. Thank you and God bless. I am going to keep reading your blog for inspiration. See you on the other side one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I am so glad you got something positive out of my story. May you find peace in your own difficult journey.

      Delete