Monday, August 11, 2014

Reflections

All over Facebook today is the story of Robin Williams' suicide.  It is sad that he had such brilliant humor for display, but suffered such pain inside.  Yet, I can also be frustrated when people take their lives, or live dangerously, when I have ALS through no action (that I know of) of my own.  Cirrhosis, maybe, or sugar overload, but ALS?

Yet death is overwhelmingly present in our 24/7 news and information cycle.  I have the blessing of knowing what is likely to happen, and appreciating the life I still have to live.  Equally, I have to have some humility of spirit, given the challenges that face so very many people.  Spiritual and mental challenges such as those that bedeviled Robin Williams are perhaps even more painful than the physical ones we face.

No comments:

Post a Comment