Friday, August 16, 2013

Indeed each day is joyfilled

Had a great evening celebrating my dear friend Debi's 50th birthday...I had to get her to the surprise party without her knowing.  I could use my ALS to say I needed to talk with her over a drink!  Sadly, I did have a reason...seeing a stranger incapacitated in a wheelchair yesterday brought me down to earth about this disease and where it will likely lead me.  But it was still very convenient in pulling her away from her task of putting together a video presentation of Kris' life for tomorrow's memorial service. 

Did I mention I live in a very small city in north central Montana?  Everyone knows everyone, almost.

In talking with friends later, the woman asked if it's easy or hard to talk about my ALS.  Paul and I both quickly responded, "easy."  It's much harder to tell people about it for the first time, because we are not sure of their reactions.  Kellee cried and had to stop cutting Paul's hair when she found out (because Paul mentioned Sturgis SD as a side trip on our way back from Rochester MN).  we don't want our friends to be sad.  This is what it is, and being given the gift of time to say goodbye and have fun with friends and family is a very fine gift indeed.

Thinking of all the Bakkes tonight, and of Debi still working on the video at 10:30 p.m.  Our prayers are with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment