Wednesday, December 31, 2014

First Night Pending

It's New Year's Eve.  Seventeen months since I was diagnosed.  I am still going to work, happily.  If nothing else stands as testimony to the value of education, the fact that I can still do my work from a wheelchair should be proof enough that higher education is important.  So get an education!!

So much for my brief commercial message for MSU-Northern. 😉

I do realize that the reality of retirement due to disability is pending, if only because getting to work in my van by myself may be difficult.  Using the accelerator and brake takes a lot of concentration and energy (and at times, my right hand to lift my right leg).  In the spring, I can probably drive my fancy pants new wheelchair itself to work, but not so much now when it's snowy and 10 below!

Christmas was lovely and quiet,  with the nuclear family together and happy.  We had dinner at my very cool 84 year old friend's house, then a quiet evening after.  Although Dolan was disappointed that we didn't go to Whitefish for Christmas break, my need for accessibility overrode his desire to ski.  He was cool about it, though.  More disappointed that he didn't win the Montana Millionaire lottery after buying lots of chances!

Yesterday, I got an email about a woman with ALS whose blog I had followed.  She passed on the 23rd.   She was 9 years younger than me.  Although I am well aware that the likelihood of death is great in these ALS bloggers, it still gives me pause when one does pass on. As I suppose it will when I too leave.  

In the meantime, though, I will just continue to enjoy the life I am fortunate to have, and as we remarked on Christmas Day, we are truly blessed.  I have been given a great gift, and I intend to make the most of it.


2 comments:

  1. I cannot figure out how to delete two of the pictures! So I'll just go with three times the beauty of a Havre winter morning!!!

    ReplyDelete